Moving home is an exciting time and once you know you’ve secured your future home there will no doubt be lots of plans you have for the things you want to do to put your mark on it, and make it feel like home.
These projects are where you’d like to be investing and so managing your moving costs effectively can often help with having the budget for those changes you want to make.
Our advice would be to consider things pragmatically there are some areas such as legal fees and any kind of financial advice that you don’t want to scrimp on. Although you may want to shop around and also ask for recommendations. It’s best to not cut corners too much with these services as you want to ensure you get all of the information you need and that the service levels you expect are met.
But with other aspects of moving if you are savvy, there are several ways to manage your moving budget. Here are some of our top tips:
* Declutter: You may have already done this when you put your home on the market, but if it’s all hiding in the loft take time to declutter properly before you start packing. Take the time to declutter your home and get rid of any items that you no longer need or use. This will also make unpacking at your new home much easier.
* Use free packing materials: Instead of buying lots of packing materials, use free materials which you may already have first, such as newspapers, old towels, and blankets to wrap your belongings. You can also look on places such as local Facebook sites for free cardboard boxes, or people selling boxes they’ve used to move previously. This is becoming a more popular option as people also want to recycle as much as possible.
* Compare moving companies: It really is worth getting quotes from several different moving companies to compare their service. Consider factors such as reputation and experience, and what is included. Check the small print and look for any penalty clauses with costs such as changing dates etc.
* Move at less popular times: When getting your quotes see if there are any discounts for moving during periods when removal companies are quieter. School holidays and during the Spring/Summer months are always the most popular. When moving companies are less busy they are more likely to offer lower prices or discounts.
* Pack and unpack yourself: There is nothing to stop you from packing and unpacking your belongings yourself, rather than paying movers to do it for you. This isn’t for everyone and keep in mind that it can also be time-consuming and tiring, also you won’t be covered for breakages etc in the same way a removal firm is.
* Label your boxes: This sounds so obvious but labelling your boxes can help you avoid misplacing items during the move, and having to replace them. Also if you are unpacking yourself it makes it so much quicker to do so.
By following these tips, you can help to manage the outgoings so that you can invest in the elements that you want to bring to your new home.
Our experienced team members are always on hand to support you in your move from the outset through to handing over the keys. If you’re thinking about moving or having your property valued please contact us on 01483 268 555.